Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Beginnings...

For some time now, I've been mentally tossing over a Cthulhu Mythos-based screenplay idea. In fact, it basically is a re-telling of The Call of Cthulhu. The plot, though centering on only one main character, is quite grand in scale and is well beyond the scope of the usual fan-made fare. For this fact alone, I know it will never be used, yet I am still compelled to complete it, if only so it's out of my head and I can stop thinking about it.

Here is the introductory scene of the first draft for your perusal:

EXT. CITY RUINS - DAY

A MAN walks up to the edge of a lookout. Before
him lies the ruins of a large city. Most of the
city is rubble and the buildings that are still
standing have large sections missing. A giant
bipedal creature, the size of the tallest visible
skyscraper, is seen slowly ambling between them.
It is green, bat-winged, and has a face full of
tentacles. The creature casually brushes past a
building and its wall collapses.

The man watches on.

MAN (V.O.)
This is what has become of the
world: reduced to nothing more than
rubble and dust. It has been this
way now for over a year. Ever since
that abomination and its army
revealed themselves from beneath
the waves to wage war on humanity.

The man watches the creature carelessly destroy
another building.

MAN (V.O.) (CONT'D)
I call it a war, however, truth be
said, it was more like a massacre.
For the most part, the attack was
unexpected, unprovoked and
particularly brutal.

The man looks saddened.

MAN (V.O.) (CONT'D)
There were some who were forewarned
of this apocalypse however. A
select few who were sensitive
enough to hear the creature's calls
through their dreams. I probably
wouldn't have believed it
possible... if I hadn't been one of
them.

From there it will cut back to the present day and detail how the planet came to be in this state.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to see a movie start in that fashion, no massive intro, just straight to a bit of detached insanity and destruction. Most movies don't want to do that, althought it feels like a perfect intro for a flashback to set straight up and then we get the usual character intro.

    I like it. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm hoping I'll get to work on it during my 3 weeks holidays in September. Though I have many other things to complete, so who knows...

    ReplyDelete